Khulna radio station remains as 1971 landmark - Khulna was the last major cities to be captured by Pakistani troops as the Liberation War broke, thanks to freedom fighters' fierce resistance, with the radio station here remaining as a landmark of their defiance to give in.

A fierce battle took place at Khulna Radio Station (now Bangladesh Betar Khulna Center) on April 3 in 1971 when several freedom fighters including M Jainul Abedin embraced martyrdom.

Abedin, Subeder Major of the then East Pakistan Rifles (now Border Guard Bangladesh) joined the liberation war at the very beginning and embraced martyrdom in Khulna radio station battle on the day.

Commander of Mujib Bahini (BLF) in Greater Khulna during liberation war Sk Quamruzzaman Tuku, 73, in an exclusive interview with BSS today, has given a depiction of battle against Pakistan occupation army at the Radio Station.

"After the crackdown in Dhaka by the Pakistan Army, we called upon students, workers and mass people here to barricade different roads including Khulna-Dhaka highway and the Railway lines with logs, bricks and stones to stop the enemy aggression," he said.

Pakistani Army in 216 convoys marched towards Khulna on March 29, 1971, set up camps at several places and occupied the then Khulna Radio Station centre in Gallyamari area, two kilometers from the Khulna city.

"We made a plan to attack the army position in a meeting at Naihati School under Rupsha Thana in presence of Major M A Zalil, sector commander-9, Subedar Major M Jainul Abedin and others Liberation War organizers in the region on March 31, 1971," he also said.

It was the midnight on April 3, 1971, as many as 250 Freedom Fighters (FF) led by Subedar Major Jainul Abedin attacked the Radio Station from three directions except the North.

An FF group led by me also fired at the Pakistani Army position. Student leaders Zahidur Rahman Zahid, Mossarraf Hossain, Habib and Moslem, among others, were with us, he added.

Abedin was trying hard to block several army convoys advancing towards the Radio Station. He fought with utmost courage near City College dormitory area killing several Pakistani soldiers and destroying their convoys until embracing martyrdom while the Sun was peeping out of the horizon spreading its glow in the sky.

With tears, Tuku said two co-fighter Habib and Moslem of my team also embraced martyrdom at that night. The freedom fighters continued battle for more two hours and one stage they left the scene. The brave son of the soil subedar Major Jainul Abedin was buried where he was killed while Habib and Moslem were buried at his family graveyard at Bagerhat, he continued.

The battle at Khulna Radio Station remains as a glorious chapter in the history of great Liberation War," Tuku said.